Monday, April 11, 2011

Adventures in Gumpaste

So, I tried to use the newest batch of gumpaste that I made the other day.  It was very stiff and tough to work with the ball tool while trying to make flowers today.  I re-kneaded it, and added in a lot of crisco (yes, again).  Re-wrapped it in Stretch-Tite and set it aside for a while. 

It was a little easier to work with.  I used it to make the flowers for today and it seemed fine.  I had asked some cake-friends for some advice on what to do (other than make a new batch with less sugar, lol), and one of the suggestions was to knead in some water, a few drops at a time.

I had to color a bit of the gumpaste, so decided to knead in the water while I was kneading in the color (have I mentioned I hate kneading??).  I think it loosened it up a bit.  I also kneaded in some more Crisco and coated it in Crisco before wrapping it up for the night.  I will tackle it tomorrow and see how it is.

Miraculously, I need to make more gumpaste!  I have used almost half of the batch I made the other day (yikes)!  I will need quite a bit of green for leaves and calyx's, so I'm considering coloring the gumpaste a light green before adding in the tylose.  Hoping it will make my life a little easier, lol. 

I can't wait for you all to be able to read the posts about the cake!!!  I am faithfully writing up the posts, and will post them (as promised) once the cake has been judged!

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment