Thursday, April 7, 2011

More gumpaste........already?!?!?!

Yup!  Hard as it is to believe, I am about to run out of the gumpaste I made for the project (only 1 batch, lol), so I must make some more.  I prefer to make my own gumpaste, rather than purchase it or alter fondant (add tylose powder or Gum-Tex to fondant until you get the proper consistency).  Altering fondant is fantastic in an emergency, but is not my preferred method.

I make my own gumpaste, using Nicholas Lodge's recipe.  I got it when I took a class a few years ago, and it was published on his website.  I have found it here (about half way down the page), on the First Impression's website though, if you wish to try it.  It's really not hard to make.  Plus, I'm a lazy decorator, I fully admit it, and even *I* make my own gumpaste, lol, so it can't be hard!

I probably should have made it tonight, but wanted to get some flowers finished.  So, I'll make it in the morning :)  It is recommended to let it sit for 24 hours, so it's probably good that I have some gumpaste left, lol.

I added up the total number of individual flowers (of various varieties) I am supposed to be making for this cake.  It was a scary number!!!  Tonight, I added up how many I have finished so far, and was surprised to find that I'm almost 1/3 of the way there!!!  I still haven't made a list of all the other things I have to do for this cake.....I think I'm afraid too, lol!

~Chelle

1 comment:

  1. I have just tried the Nicholas Lodge recipe for gumpaste and it came out really hard to knead-I don't have the flexibility in my fingers- I used pasteurised egg whites which were previously frozen-could that have something to do with it? anyway its in the fridge now-perhaps I could add some sugarpaste to it-would that help ?

    ReplyDelete