Monday, September 5, 2011

Baby Shower Corsages

A good friend (we'll call her CakeCrazy) and I have a friend that was throwing a baby shower for her daughter.  We offered to help with whatever she needed, and I was asked to make some corsages for the mom-to-be and the grandmothers.

She didn't really have a preference of flowers, and since I had some leftover roses and hydrangeas, I asked if those would be fine.  She said sure!  She did say the color theme was purple - the mom-to-be doesn't like pink. 

So, I went home, dug out the roses and hydrangeas and all of my purple dusting colors.


I know it looks like a lot, but after taking a wonderfully fabulous dusting class from Ruth Rickey I have learned the magic secret to getting lifelike colored flowers (hint: layering!)  So, I started with pale blue hydrangeas (hey, it's what I had, lol!), and layered on each purple color, using the darkest on only the edges.

Here's the progression of colors at each stage:



I also used some of the paler shades and dusted the rose a pale lavendar.  I had some purple toulle I found, as well as some purple gingham ribbon and a fabulous sparkly purple butterfly that CakeCrazy gave me to use!  I put them all together and came up with this:


I was nice, but it still needed something.  I send the picture to Cake Crazy and gave her a call to toss around some ideas.  Her first suggestion was it needed green.  She had also given me a baby items mold, and we thought that a few of those items would look cute sticking out the top of the corsage.  So, I went ahead and followed her suggestions.

I had some leaves that were leftover, so I dusted them (yes, multiple shades of greens and other colors) and put them together with the flowers.  I also made some baby booties and baby bottles and added those to the corsages:

Now they looked fabulous!!!!!!!!


Here's a close-up of the flowers:



Here's a close-up of the baby items and leaves:



Finally, here are all three together:


Our friend did not see them until they were all completed.  She absolutely loved them!!!   That's the best compliment a cake/sugar artist can ask for!

~Chelle

1 comment:

  1. Thank you sooooo much for the lovely corsages, Chelle! As usual, you did a creative and outstanding job making and assembling them! You have the "Magic Touch".
    With MUCH appreciation,
    Deb R

    ReplyDelete