Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Airbrush Saga

For those of you who read about by airbrush "fun" before Easter, I thought I'd let you all know how it went.  Turns out I'm an idiot, lol.  The air was supposed to be flowing throw the gun and out the nozzle end.  The trigger actually only controls the food coloring being released into the stream of air.  After talking with a few friends that have airbrushes, it was determined that the needle of my airbrush was in too much and needed to be adjusted.  I went home and tried it.  Lo and behold, it WORKED!  I spent a few hours playing with the airbrush and a few dummy cakes from classes I've taken. 

In order to spare the rest of my kitchen from the onslaught of the food coloring, I purchased a big cardboard tri-fold display from the craft store (think Science Fair Project stuff).  I set that up behind the cake, laid some newspaper on the table and had a blast.  It was so cool!!!  I've used an airbrush a few times before but never actually owned one!  I tried a few techniques that I want to do on my Alaska wedding cake, and they came out pretty good. 
 


I also (accidentally) figured out how to make fireworks with the airbrush!!  Hold the gun REAL close to the surface you're airbrushing, and pull the trigger back fast.  The air causes the liquid color to spread in a pattern very similar to fireworks!

No comments:

Post a Comment